Rejoice in the Lord always. Philippians 4:4a
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"The Lord be with you! The Lord bless you! ..." ~ Ruth 2:4 NIV
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ A. A. Milne
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
"Never place a period where God has placed a comma." Gracie Allen
“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” –e.e. cummings

Don't let the noise of the world keep you from hearing the voice of the Lord.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Harvest Time

Farmers around here grow lots of corn, both for cutting and harvesting with a combine because cattle and dairy cows need feed in the winter.

Harvest time is here!
Monster corn cutters chop corn and load it into the trucks that follow the harvester.
Corn fields disappear in an afternoon.
Semis loaded with the ensilage slow down for the turn into the dairy next door.
Empty trucks return to the field. 
Over and over.

 
First time I've ever had a video! The harvester is similar to what cut and chopped the corn next door, but the neighbor's corn was still green and not so dried out! And the trucks here are much bigger!! The first two minutes will give you a good idea of what happens.

 
My dad cut corn for our cattle years ago. His cutter only did two rows at a time and the trucks were much smaller. The truck drivers drove to the pit and dumped their load over the side and the packer (tractor) went back and forth over the corn to pack it in. After school my brother and I would always change clothes and go jumping off the sides of the pit down into the soft corn. That was called FUN back in those days! 
Similar to the cutter my dad had and was pulled behind the tractor.

Have some FUN with harvest this week.
♥♫


.


6 comments:

Salmagundi said...

Oh, yes - I remember that. We always called it ensilage, too. So many people just say silage, and don't know what I'm talking about when I say ensilage with the accents differently!! Happy harvest to you, too. I'm tired of dealing with the daily stuff from the garden -- too much to eat now; so we have to deal with it. I should be forever grateful, however. Sally

Rebecca Nelson said...

Are you LOVING being OUT OF SCHOOL!????? I know you are!

Happy HARVEST to you! I want a garden just don't want to do the work! :)

xoRebecca

The Polka Dot Closet said...

OMG, is it harvest already!! I love how we used to make our own fun, I didn't jump in soft corn, but I could play in a refrigerator box for days!

Carol

sarah said...

oh boy! i don't miss being home for the drivers using the jake break by our house though! i bet it smells so nice there. love you

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to experience harvest but haven't yet. I need to find someone to help me cross this off my list!

Annesphamily said...

Silverado trucks have a commercial about a man and his son going camping. It is quite sweet because kids today are so structured for video games and things that really have no fun in them. My hubby would tell tales of the farm in the Summer and also helping his grandfather with the harvest. It is hard work and so many have no clue what is involved in farming! Great post!