Rejoice in the Lord always. Philippians 4:4a
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"The Lord be with you! The Lord bless you! ..." ~ Ruth 2:4 NIV
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ A. A. Milne
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
"Never place a period where God has placed a comma." Gracie Allen
“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” –e.e. cummings

Don't let the noise of the world keep you from hearing the voice of the Lord.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Part II, Garden Tour

I knew the order I wanted to share these pictures in, but this time they came out opposite. Oh well. And lately my blogging is just not my main interest. So, as the man I've been spending a lot of time with lately says, "It is what it is!" The man is my dentist, by the way! And I think I am finished with him when he checks my gums to see how they are healing. (Until I save up and get courage to have more work done).

I'm short, so this plant is T A L L!
Rob Proctor mentioned in his blog this was the plant he had the most questions about during the tour. They were throughout the garden in all sizes and stages of flowering.
They're called giant cow parsnip.
Heracleum sphondylium
An interesting bud!! About my eye level, I think.
There were about 6 brick columns on each side of a grass pathway with perennials on both sides of the "fence". Close to five feet tall.
 
This season there were ten apprentices helping in the garden. I'd certainly help out if I lived close by. I'm thinking the tender tropicals must spend their winters in the glass addition on on the rear of the house. Almost $10,000 was raised for the Denver Dumb Friends League from the tour. Great tour, great cause! Visit Rob Proctor's blog for lots more information.  Click on the pictures to enjoy the details!

11 comments:

Salmagundi said...

Why have I never heard of Rob Proctor? Probably because gardening has never been my main focus - Bob is the gardener in this family! That giant cow parsnip is something else, isn't it - don't know that I've ever seen it. When we were in Denver 10 days ago, we made a quick trip to Wiggins so Bob could help Mike with a small project at his house. We were there all of 1 1/2 hours, but did see Wiggins' new curb and gutter by the Senior Center. Only in a small, small town is that big news. We hadn't been there for a year. We all love Denver so much, we usually just meet there. Hope you have a great week - the summer is flying by. Sally

Rose H (UK) said...

This plant is known in the UK as Giant Hogweed. Becareful as the sap causes super sensitivity to UV rays that can cause severe sun-burn and even scarring.

Marilyn said...

Hi Rose--Apparently the giant hogweed and cow parsnip closely resemble each other and both will cause the sun sensitivity. I watched a YouTube video from Canada where they are trying to eliminate the hogweed because it is so invasive. The cow parsnip is not considered to be a noxious weed there. The leaves are quite different according to the video, but it's good to know about the plants we grow!♥♫

Donna said...

Marilyn,
The giant parsnip is gorgeous and so unusual ... at least to me! What a wonderful tour this was. Now I am off to visit Bob's blog.
Hope your gums are okay!
Hugs,
Donna

lambs and ivy designs said...

Hi friend,
this is the second time I am commenting..the first one didn't taake! LOL ....then I realized the first comment was a bore anyway!

Thank you for your sweet visit and words!!
If you get your daughter to renew her vows, I will make the fairy wings!

Have a great day,
Dana

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Oh lucky you Marilyn! His garden looks gorgeous. That cow parsnip looks to be taller than me, too.
I'm pretty sure I just cut out some of Rob Proctor's gardening tips from one of my magazine articles featuring his garden! I think it was 'This Old House' magazine. I'm sure you appreciate his great tips from TV. Hope you enjoyed the tour. :)

Al said...

I like the perspective on these shots.

We desperately need some rain, it's been far too dry. But there's nothing in the forecast.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a gorgeous garden, sorry you have had so much dental work...You are so right, time consuming and way to expensive!!

Carol

Annesphamily said...

Wow! Marilyn this garden is gorgeous! I will make a note to visit Rob. I always enjoy seeing you at my blog. You are such a great lady! I hope you will be doing great after your dental work! It is the most un-favorite thing I have to do! Have a great weekend! Hugs Anne

My Cottage Charm said...

Hey Marilyn, I'm so sorry about all the fires in your state, it's so sad. My heart just aches for all those people who have lost their homes...and all those beautiful acres of land. We too are dry and hot...it was 102 today and is supposed to be 105 tomorrow. I don't EVER remember it being 105 in KY before...this weather is screwy! We are in need of rain so bad....I feel your pain.
Hope you have a great week and I'll pray we both get some relief from this heat and drought.
Hugs
Missy
PS..your garden is lovely!

Al said...

It's frighteningly dry all over the front range of Colorado. We live near a state highway and our concern is that some idiot will flick a cigarette out their window...