Rejoice in the Lord always. Philippians 4:4a
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"The Lord be with you! The Lord bless you! ..." ~ Ruth 2:4 NIV
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ A. A. Milne
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
"Never place a period where God has placed a comma." Gracie Allen
“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” –e.e. cummings

Don't let the noise of the world keep you from hearing the voice of the Lord.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Jesus is the Gift

I'm thrilled to share my family Nativity Sets and the ones that were on display last Saturday during the TPO Craft Show. Thanks to our hostess at Happier than a Pig in Mud, Lynn.
This first one is Sarah's. It is our newest addition to our collection.

This white one was made by me when we were married back in 1977. There was a ceramic shop in Wiggins owned by an older gentleman. Wally's younger sister took me in to meet Emory and taught me how to clean the pieces, fire them, and then glaze them. Thanks Ginny! I love you!

When my friend and I were setting things up on Friday evening, we left the pieces for Sarah to arrange on Saturday morning. This was taken before she arrived and "fixed" things. It's always been her job to set it up at home!
This set was from one of my friends.
Another friend made this for me. We both taught First Grade and put them out at school during December.
Metal on a wooden base.
A wall hanging from Karen.
These other sets were on display in the Elementary Library, too.
This set was painted by a woman that lived on an Indian reservation in South Dakota.
The many pieces of this set below included a figure of a man with a basket of bread. Sharon didn't know who he was and thought perhaps he was the inn keeper offering Mary and Joseph something to eat. It came from an Estate sale that Sharon said she tried to encourage the man selling it to keep it and give it to his children, but he insisted that he didn't want it.
His wife painted all the pieces and had passed away. She was very talented and selected such soft colors that are gorgeous.
A pewter set from 1986 when Sarah Josephine was a young child. I consider her my second daughter~just a little younger than my Sarah. Having two "daughters" with the same name keeps me from going down a list of names to get the right one!! That has happened to Grandma when trying to call the grandsons by name. ;D
This creche was made by our librarian's father in-law. The figurines are just like Sarah's.
Elegant gold accents...
Made in Spain with mud (terracotta). One of the kings is on an elephant and the shepherds are gathered around a campfire.
A set made of glass.
Sarah and I heard many stories about the visitors' own sets and collections throughout the day. We both thought there would be more people coming through, but it was a joy to share with those that came to our Nativity Room.

May you all be blessed this Christmas Season. Enjoy more by going back to our hostess, Lynn!
Just click on her name or on the "stained glass window."

Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come.
-Revelation 1:4 (NRSV)

8 comments:

Lynn said...

Marilyn, you have an amazing collection, they are all beautiful! I love the "soft" set you used at school, and the terracotta set is really different! That's only the second elephant I've seen! Thank you so much for joining in:@)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

You have a wonderful nativity collection. Enjoyed seeing them. Jesus is the Reason for the Season!

Salmagundi said...

Such variety! I enjoyed seeing every set. How sad that the man did not want to keep that beautiful set to pass on to his children. I've always thought that Mike should have the Hummels someday since we started collecting them his first Christmas. And since it is my daughter's children that have grown up with the Fontanini set; that one should be theirs. But, who knows?? It must be crazy at school this last week. I know our grandkids are a bit on the wild side!! They are looking forward to having Uncle Mike home to play with. Take care, Sally

Donna said...

Marilyn,
My nativity is the first thing I bring out at Christmas. It is the reason for the season.
You have some wonderful ones and thank you for sharing all of the pics.
Hugs,
Donna

Deanna said...

Dear Marilyn, These are all wonderful in their own style.

Very nice to have. Glad I was able to see them all.

May you have a pleasant season and Merry Christmas,
d

Beansieleigh said...

My gosh, Marilyn!.. What a lovely collection to see here!!! All absolutely beautiful!.. I was particularly drawn to the little handmade cloth set! I would love to make my own nativity, someday, either sewn or maybe crocheted.. Wishing you blessings and lots of holiday fun as the big day draws closer and closer! ~tina

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I do love the simplicity of the white set and the glass set. Wonderful reason for the season!!

Unknown said...

WOW...what a collection of wonderful nativities. I love the native american one the best :)

Merry CHRISTmas!
Gail