Rejoice in the Lord always. Philippians 4:4a
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"The Lord be with you! The Lord bless you! ..." ~ Ruth 2:4 NIV
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ A. A. Milne
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
"Never place a period where God has placed a comma." Gracie Allen
“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” –e.e. cummings

Don't let the noise of the world keep you from hearing the voice of the Lord.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

September Summer

Fall?  
No sign of it here!

With temperatures predicted for the rest of the week at 97, 98, 98, and only 96 on Saturday, I am melting!

A plant and its flowers would have gone unnoticed if I were still going to school and wouldn't have been gazing out the kitchen window.  I saw something that seemed out of place - something white in an old compost pile out in the back .  So instead of going out front to water, I went out the back to investigate.

A moonflower. 

That morning there were only two blossoms with several more buds for another evening show.
It's been a while since I've had them in my garden, so was quite surprised. I like how the sun is shining through the bottom of the trumpet!

From the Better Homes and Gardens site:
A "Moonflower is one of the most romantic plants you can grow in the garden. It's a statuesque, ideal evening-garden plant bearing large trumpet-shape flowers that unfurl in the evening (or on overcast days) and stay open until the sun rises. Some are sweetly fragrant when open. This beautiful plant is also very heat- and drought-resistant. Beware: It's quite poisonous, especially the seeds."

Hope your week will be filled with new discoveries!
 ♥♫

9 comments:

Salmagundi said...

Oh my - I went to Pueblo today and nearly died from the heat. I'm ready for some cooler weather. Does your moonflower have a pleasant smell? Sally

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Isn't it wonderful that you have time now to "Smell the roses"! No sign of fall here in Orlando either!

Carol

Unknown said...

How GORGEOUS !!!
I'm noticing a change up here in Montreal - people are going on about how gorgeous it is - but I feel Fall in the air - and that means Winter is next - so I'm in big denial here LOL
XOXO

Stephanie said...

Oh wow, how beautiful! It is warm here as well. For a few weeks it was cold and very "Fallish," but now it feels like Summer again :) Have a good night. Hugs!

Deanna said...

Howdy from Kansas!
I learned something new today visiting your place....I have never seen or heard of such a neat flower. Glad you shared and hope your retirement is going super.
d

sarah said...

pretty neat mom. I still need to send you the pictures from the lavender farm!

Ann said...

Moonflowers are very pretty, never had one myself. Glad you had a sweet surprise in the HEAT. Kinda funny about your gun episode--feel bad for the sprinkler.

Ann

Unknown said...

As always, 4th grade is struggling with our rooms being hot. Doesn't help that the third person on our unit is "cold" She must be out of her mind! ;0)

Yea for new discoveries!

Annesphamily said...

That is a lovely name and such a beautiful flower. I planted these wildflower seeds and this flower called a COsmos never bloomed with petals but they are so tall and green and full almost like a bush. Nice to cover a bare area. The stalks are so thick and strong. I am learning a little as I go. I grew them from seeds along with Calendula almost like a Zinnia. It was funny because I paid one dollar for this huge seed packet with 5 different seeds inside and three of them grew and two didn't. I need to show them to you. I too lots of photos.Made me smile to think I could help something pretty grow from a tiny seed.